Work hard...Party harder!!!

Friday, April 14, 2006

To Read

I know I have been boring everybody with a ton of tech blogs, but for some reason, I have just been totally hooked on the tech stuff recently and have really enjoyed blogging about things to glory!! Again, yesterday I found this and just couldnt restrain blogging about it. I wanted to write about this site earlier, but as usual procrastinated....

Anyways I read about this site yesterday where you can go, register your email address and then it will give you a bookmarklet, which you can place in your bookmarks toolbar (I did!). What this does is whenever you find something interesting, it will email the page to you when you hit the bookmarklet. This whole process takes less than 3 secs.

I was really excited to see something like this, as I read a lot of Lean Enterprise and other business blogs, some of which have really interesting articles, I would like to save and use later for preparation of work related training materials, quoting examples etc., This seems like something that would just work great for stuff like that, where in I can email it to my gmail account and have it forever.

To organize things better, this is what I did in my gmail account. I setup a filter which automatically filters the emails sent via this bookmarklet and automatically labels it. This is how you can do it. This is really pretty simple but for the benefit of the people who dont know this....

First hit settings in you gmail account and then goto labels. I created a label called "to read". Upon using the bookmarklet a couple of times I realised that the email was always sent from toread@info.cc, so I setup the following




Then hit next to finish setting up the filter. I checked the skip inbox button, so the mails get archived automatically and whenever have the time, i can goto the to read label and read the articles. (see below). Then check apply label and select whichever label you want applied (to read in the example below)



Just hit update the filter now and you will be all set. Whenever you find a article you want to read, just hit the bookmarklet and you will have it under your to read label. I can see this being a great advantage especially if you use outlook express or thunderbird, where you can download all your mails and read it in a plane or something like that. So this way, you can still use an internet based rss reader, but by emailing articles you like to yourself, review them at you own leisure later.

Ciao and a Happy Tamil New year's Day and Happy Easter to all!

2 comments:

The Doodler said...

cool man..you really do think of stuff to write! :) I don't enjoy using Microsoft Outlook or Thunderbird.

Venky Gopalan said...

@Subha
I have heard thunderbird is neat, I am planning to try it out...so may be you will soon see a post about that.