Work hard...Party harder!!!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Information Overload

For the longest time now, I have been feeling guilty about not reading a lot and also having a lot of books I bought sitting in my bookshelf without having been consumed (Large WIP - Extreme Muda!!). So last week one day I actually sat down and mapped out all the books that I currently have and differentiated them into the following

  • Books I want to read, but still havent bought (my Amazon.com wishlist)
  • Books I have already bought, but still havent completely read
    • Books that I have started reading
    • Books that I am yet to start reading
Attached below is the map. I used a mind mapping software to do this and I have to admit, ever since I started using the software, it has given a lot of clarity to my thinking and has made it easier to lay out things in an orderly fashion.



After having done the whole thing, I just realized how consumed I am with just my blogs and journals that I hardly get the time to read anything else. Besides I have what I call a "reading threshold". I cannot read casually. Typically I concentrate immensely when I am reading something, so after 2-3 hours of reading a day, I am already worn out and can take it no longer!

However if Marissa Mayer can work 18 hours a day (see here) and Indra Nooyi thinks there is no substitution to hardwork (see here, second para of second page), then may be I am just not there yet! I am sure I will get there though as long as I stay Hungry. Stay Foolish!

No comments: