Work hard...Party harder!!!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Amores Perros and Embrassing Childhood

On a friend's recommendation, I rented out Amores Perros and am seeing it right now. I have to admit its one of the goriest, sad and melancholic movies I have seen in a long time. Its essentially stories of three different people coming together with an accident. Although it is supposed to be a critically acclaimed movie taken by a debutant director and not even badly taken, it just isn't my kind of movie. I have to admit, it has left a bad taste, got my mood down and made it a lousy start to a weekend.

On a lighter note, today while cooking I was reminded of a silly and embrassing incident that happened while I was in school. It must have happened when I was in third or fourth grade. I hung out with a bunch of great guys, but most of them were really rich, you know the kind that give each student a dairy milk for their birthday, while the rest of the class gave coffee bite (if you grew up in India, you would know what I am talking about). So I liked to show off whenever I could. So one day, I manage to steal a pair of shades my mom's brother had given her and bring it to school to show it off to my friends. The plan was perfect, I would take it school without my mother's knowledge, brag about it the whole day and then put it back in the evening and my mom wouldn't even know about it.

Everything was working as per plan, I went to school early that day so I could start bragging. Since I had dropped the shades earlier, I went on about how these shades were unbreakable and then dropped it on the floor to show it to my friends.

(Amores Perros, just got over....what a freaking relief!)

At that point one of my friends said, how much force can it withstand, to which I said, any amount. (If only I knew when to shutup!) I then got on top of a desk and flung the shades with as much force as I could muster in the floor. Guess what happened? The shades cracked...

Well...the rest of the day was hell. Not only did I look ridiculously stupid in front of my friends, I also had a heck of a lot of explaining to do to my mom, who fortunately or unfortunately is not fooled very easily.

Thinking back now, I had a childhood filled with so many embrassing events, mostly brought upon me by myself that I am not surprised that I no longer get embrassed that easily.

Oh well!! Have a good weekend

btw, Go Blue - Hopefully Michigan kicks Ohio State's ass tommorow. You know how excited I have been about this game...I blogged about it a month back in this post.

5 comments:

The Doodler said...

Well, this is exactly why I've taken a decision not to watch sad movies if I can! :) You know, for all the "critically acclaimed" tag that comes with a few movies, most of them end up showing life's serious side. It might be "realistic" but I certainly don't want to have a heavy dose of reality..:) S is annoyed with me because I make him watch all sorts of cartoony movies but then, cartoons leave you much happier, right?

k said...

Hmmm guess the match tomorrow is really going to be interesting..... The ohios are pretty favourite to win i guess.. lets see the match

Venky Gopalan said...

@ Suba
I dont like cartoony movies..I think I like action movies with plenty of gun shooting...its fun and exciting and in most cases so unrealistic that you can watch it and walk out of the movie and totally forget about it. Essentially I hate any movie that makes me think;)

@Kishore
You know what happened...hopefully there will be a rematch!

k said...

Hmm that would be one more awesome game... hope it would happen

Kay said...

Amoresperros was awesome, one more movie of same genre would be City of god.

Gale garcia who is the hero in Amores perros has acted in another movie called motor cycle diaries whch is again an awesome movie