Work hard...Party harder!!!

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Really Cool!!

A few weeks back, I was in an ice cream store in Berlin when a family with 3 toddlers walked into the store. Although I don't know for sure, it seemed to me like there was this guy, his 3 kids and his old parents. There wasnt a woman, outside of the grandmoter in the gathering so the guy, acting like a good father which most men are, was trying his level best to keep his children well behaved yet not be rude to them.

Among the children, who were actually quite well behaved, there was this little girl who was just outright adorable. She had a nice round face, pink cheeks and big expressive eyes. You'd have to be a serial killer or something like that if you could restrain smiling when you look at the girl in the face. Initially she came in and was generally yapping to her father and her grandparents (assumed!) and pointing at things etc., It was all in German so didnt really understand what she was saying.

But then, the moment her dad handed her the vanilla ice cream, a cone which she insisted on and even refused to hold a cup underneath the ice cream to prevent the ice cream from dripping all over her, she was out of this world! I mean literally for the next 15 minutes, I was just sitting there watching her eat, while she had totally tuned herself out of everything. She was holding the ice cream 6 inches from her face and it didnt matter what her dad or her grandparents were saying or what was happening around her. It didnt matter that the television she was earlier pointing to was playing cartoons now, she was focusing on her ice cream and nothing was going to take her attention away from it. Finally after she finished the ice cream, with some ice cream still on her nose, she looked up at her dad and smiled.

That definitely was one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life. I was sitting there wondering, when was the last time anything at all, leave alone a 2 euro ice cream,  captured and held my absolute attention for soo long. If I was her father, I'd be a bad one as I will be buying her ice creams all the time just so I could watch her eat it!

That really was pretty cool!!

3 comments:

The Doodler said...

Venky,
sounds like a really girly post...:) That wasn't meant in a disparaging way..yes, I do agree that we can give the world to kids doing all these silly, innocent things!

Venky Gopalan said...

lol...i know. I thought about the same thing while I was writing it. Maybe I am starting to think like a girl...thats kinda scarry!!

Freeyavedu said...

Machi,

unaku odambu ethavathu seri illaiya ? Unaku tally agatha matter ellam pesuriyae da ?