Work hard...Party harder!!!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Of Sambhars and buckets

Reading this article certainly made my mouth water...especially since I was kinda hungry when I read it.


Of Sambhars and buckets: "Lavanya:

When Rathna Cafe, the famous Triplicane based eatery, opened a branch in T Nagar several months ago, it created a flutter in my family. Suddenly the usually calm elders of the family all got excited. It appeared that every one of them had a story to share - about fluffy hot idlis served with piping hot sambhar ('fusht klash' theriyuma <=> It was first class you know), delicious vadai dipped in sambhar, pongal dripping in ghee and accompanied by sambhar and so on. I noticed that sambhar kept recurring in all their stories.

Not one to let go of an opportunity to know, I asked the eldest to tell me more. He said that Rathna Cafe used to serve unlimited sambhar, the then equivalent of bottomless Coke, along with every South Indian tiffin item. And then came the icing, 'the server walked around with the sambhar bucket and he poured it out on our leaf with a steel mug' added Grandpa. Steel mug and sambhar in a bucket? Since I had never managed a visit to the original Rathna Cafe, I decided that the new one in T Nagar had to be visited and the sight of the bottomless sambhar matched with the one in my imagination.

Continued reading Of Sambhars and buckets...

Comments (0)

Comments on this Entry:"

Also Chennai recently has become a well deserved addition to the list of cities which are metro blogged. Mumbai and Chennai are the only 2 cities in India that are there in the list of over 30 cities worldwide that are metroblogged.

check out the Chennai blog at http://chennai.metblogs.com

No comments: