Work hard...Party harder!!!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

India Trip

Quite a few of my friends often ask me, why I go back to India every year? Many of them visit may be once every 2 or 3 years. Truth be told, going back to India every year has been a major financial drain on me. After all, with as expensive as flight tickets are these days, especially during the peak season and the gifts you buy, you start seeing a significant hole in your savings. What more? considering you want to maximize the time you spend back home, you use your entire vacation on the trip. Atleast for me, my routine goes something like this...January 2 to December 15, work! work! work!...don't take a single day of vacation. December 15 - January 1, go back to India and blow up your entire year's savings and vacation in one trip. (If wasn't for this trip to India, in my home in the place of my old sony boob tube would be a new 50 inch plasma and a few hundred dollars more in my savings)

So again why go every year? I think the answer to that lies in they way you think and the way you have been brought up. To me, no matter how many countries I visit, my number one choice for a vacation destination will be Chennai, India. I grew up in that town and for the most part know the "In's and Out's" of it. Especially in late december (Marghazi Masam) Chennai offers a multitude of things which charms me to no end. The early morning Bhakti music concert played in each street with cheap LOUD speakers, the beautiful sunshine with 80 degrees temperature which is such a great escape from the rain and 45 degrees it is in Detroit right now, the classical music season with various artists performing and the canteens outside the music sabhas serving fresh dosas and coffee and so on. Most importantly the joy of meeting and spending time with my family and old friends, to play home cricket with my 3 year old nephew, to take my mom out to ice creams, to go to my old saloon and get a head massage (Rs 50 for a long 1/2 hour massage - cheap isn't it?), to walk, sit, relax in Marina/Besant nagar beach, to enjoy the Rs 10 Masala Kadalai at the beach. I love to go to Satyam and see young college kids bunk class to watch a matinee, reminds me of time I used to do it and the 4 golden years I spent in college.

Having spent pretty much all of my life in India in Chennai, I think a part of who I am is because of the things I learnt, in and from the city. So nothing relaxes, invigorates and recharges me like my trips back home. And I can't think of a better way to start a new year than to have a cup of filter coffee (Hungover from New year's party??..may be!) and some hot mom cooked breakfast, watching "puthanda sigapu Nizahichi" in Sun/Moon/Mars TV. And all this more than justifies the trip (to me atleast)....

1 comment:

k said...

Hmmm i certainly agree with you.. Its really so special going back home every year. May be you can save some bucks by going once in 2yrs but the feeling of going home just makes you feel so high

Hey i check out foobar.. It is good...