Work hard...Party harder!!!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Life in these US

When I was in my 9th grade, my aunt and uncle visited us in Chennai from Bombay. They had just returned back to India after spending 6 months in the US with their children. That night, lured by the cheap Sanford mechanical pencils, papermate pens (no offense to anyone, I get those now when I go back home. For some reason they seem to have an appeal back home) and Snicker bars, I decided I was going to go to the U.S for my M.S. In fact after seeing my aunt's family picture in front of the Niagara falls, I couldn't wait any longer.

While I was in college, this longing was further emphasized, especially listening to the stories from our seniors in the U.S. The stories were almost always about long road trips, visiting exotic places and being able to buy fancy gadgets and gizmos. Money ofcourse was a big part behind my motivation to come to the U.S. I wanted to drive nice cars and wear designer clothes etc., However a bigger aspect was also freedom. Being able to be with friends and do a lot of fun things with them and not to have to worry about Money....that sounded like paradise.

Anyway, fast forward 5 years and here I am in the heart of Chicago. I have missed all my best friends weddings (SVCE and UK). I speak to my friends once in a while and in some cases have no idea what's happening in their lives. I have no idea or sense of festivals I used to enjoy and look forward to. During festivals I care about (Diwali, Pongal etc.,) I have to work. When I have holidays (Christmas, Independence day etc.,) I don't really care about or relate to those festivals (if you want to call them that). I speak to my folks back home at the most once a week. So anyway, you get the picture...

Its not that I don't enjoy the things I came here to buy and relish. It is a pleasure to hear my 3.0 liter engine in my BMW, roar to life every morning. Its great to live in the city of Chicago, which is a melting pot of so many different cultures. Above all, seeing a paycheck every other Friday sure puts a smile on my face. I have to admit this country has been good to me. I was able to spend a considerable amount of time in Europe and see the old country, travel and work on challenging projects in the U.S., all as a part of my work.

However, on moments like this, I question if it was/is worth it. I wanted the nice things to share with my friends and family. After all its whom you are with that makes all the difference, not where you are or what you have. My college was in the middle of no where and the nearest half decent theater was a good hour away. Yet those were the 4 best years of my life. I guess where I am getting at is what is the cost incurred for these economic gains and other things that at times seem so superficial? I wonder if in an attempt to find the AC first class compartment, I am missing the entire train.

Or all this could be just a part of growing up. As you start working your responsibilities increase and there just isn't enough time to spend with friends anymore. The little free time that you have, you want to spend it in solitude rather than speak on the phone. Either case, this SUCKS!

2 comments:

Freeyavedu said...

Good one da Venky. Can totally relate to it.

Pasu said...

Amazing!! Ive been in chicago only for a year.. i can relate to it...